Monday, January 05, 2015

Brief Thoughts - BREAKHEART PASS (1975)


I was in the mood for some wintery western action and noticed this solid little film was on NetFlix. Press Play! I've seen this movie a couple of times now and it holds up very well as a well paced mystery set on a train in the old west and might now qualify as Comfort Viewing for me. In fact, 'mystery set on a train in the old west' may just be the most perfect description to get me to watch any film in the world. The cast here is excellent with the often undervalued Bronson doing a great job while backed up by a fantastic cast of legendary character actors that includes Richard Crenna, Charles Durning, Ben Johnson, Ed Lauter, David Huddleston and Robert Tessier. What a lineup! My only complaint with the film is that it feels a little too trimmed down, as if there is a slightly longer and possibly better movie lurking in between the edits - but that doesn't stop me from loving what is presented.


I think this film has been overlooked, even by Bronson fans, but it is ripe for discovery now by a whole new generation of movie fans. Check it out!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I introduced my wife to Bronson about a year ago and she fell in love with him. We recently watched this and The White Buffalo. I feel he is the most underappreciated actors. What are some of your other favorites of his? Are there any you hate?

Rod Barnett said...

I'm a big fan of VIOLENT CITY, THE MECHANIC, OUATITW, HARD TIMES, DEATH WISH and for sleaze 10 TO MIDNIGHT.

Unknown said...

I love all those too. My favorite Cannon film would be Murphy's Law. Do you like his French films?

Rod Barnett said...

I love the French films I've seen but need to catch up to FAREWELL, FRIEND.