Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Daughters of Darkness Podcast


I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting podcasts focused on cult films but often I find that I can't get into a new show. Such is not the case with Daughters of Darkness. Today I listened to the first episode and was draw immediately into the discussion of lesbian vampire films. Of course, as an avowed lustful cult movie nut my interest in this topic might be obvious but this podcast brings a new viewpoint to the table - the female opinion! Rarely do I get to talk about genre film with women because I simply don't know that many female genre fans. At least not ones willing to get into long conversations about the subject. But this show presents two very knowledgeable ladies taking a deep look at the history of lesbian vampire movies, the sources from which they spring and the often complicated ways they use women in the stories. Hosts Kat Ellinger and Samm Deighan are smart, insightful and very well informed about the background of the movies they discuss as well as being very entertaining in their delivery. I love it when I finish an episode of a film podcast and realize that I've learned something brand new. For that reason alone I'm very happy to have discovered this show and I encourage the curious to check out their efforts. I'm looking forward to future episodes that focus on the films of Andrzej Zuławski, a look at a couple of the Corman Poe films and an examination of witches onscreen. Exciting!







1 comment:

Brian Lindsey said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll check 'em out.